"In summer, the song sings itself." -William Carlos Williams




Friday, June 18, 2010

Getting Iced?

I had a post planned for today. But I am so fascinated by this topic that I must discuss it.

Getting iced.

Do you know anyone who has gotten iced?

Am I extremely behind the curve for not having heard of this until a couple of weeks ago?


It all started yesterday when I read this article that came up on my newsfeed (courtesy of Ilana) and I was amazed that this phenomenon had spread to the professional work space. This is great! People are having mucho fun in arenas of their lives that are normally uptight.

In fact, that is the best part about this whole thing. It's so spontaneous and silly and almost stupid that it's hilarious.



For those of my readers who need a formal (or informal definition) of getting iced:

As according to Urban Dictionary:
(V). The act of drinking a Smirnoff Ice on one knee as fast as you can, following the presentation of the 'ice' in a clever manner.

Basically, this is a fun joke that boys (mostly) plan on their bros. An emasculation of sorts.
I predict many more icings in the future of my social calendar.

And like any good game that fraternity boys invent, there are ridiculous rules.

Rule #1:
If you refuse to drink the Smirnoff, you forfeit the right to ever ice another bro, ever again.


Rule #2:
The only way to avoid drinking the Ice, is by "blocking" the ice attempt with the presentation of an Ice of your own.


This has gotten so popular that there was a site, brosicingbros.com, that Smirnoff took down. The dumbest thing they ever did if you ask me. Yea, sure it promotes Smirnoff ice as a girly drink. But the more that people know about this prank- the more Ice that will be sold? Correct?

Even though there is no longer a whole site dedicated to this silly prank, there are enough YouTube videos to get your fill. There is even a "how-to" video as seen on CollegeHumor.



Any time of day is acceptable. In fact, the more inappropriate the time, the better! Just waking up, coming home from work, at work, in the airport, in a restaurant- you get the idea.

Crazy.

Perhaps not what Smirnoff had originally intended...


Classier posts to come.
Watching USA v. Slovenia.

Go USA!

Until then,
Cara

3 comments:

  1. bhahahah its amazing! There's an entire website dedicated to icing ashton kutcher, too: iceashton.com

    I'm loving the ridiculousness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they shut the website down! I love the idea of it though. Someone please ice me next semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i must be behind the times... never heard of getting "iced" till now! funny! thank you for the education! :D

    ReplyDelete