"In summer, the song sings itself." -William Carlos Williams




Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hillsborough Hotspots: Maple View

Taking my friends to the Maple View Ice Cream store is like a ritual that one must go through to truly experience the most fabulous ice cream of all mankind. At least, that is the way that I like to think about it.

Going to Maple View is also a way for my friends to get to know me better. I worked there for two years during high school and have gone there with family and friends for ages now it seems.

What is Maple View? Maple View is officially a dairy farm that is located in the rural gap between Hillsborough and Chapel Hill. Across from the farm there is a dairy store. This is where people can come to get ice cream that uses cream from the cows that they see right across the road. Isn't that cool?!



They also sell milk (in glass bottles!), local cheese, eggs, strawberries, chocolate treats, meat and soap!



There are also always really fun flavors. My favorites, you ask?

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Mango Sorbet
Orange Dream
Mint Chocolate Chip

But there are also fun ones like Peanut Butter and Jelly (don't wince, it really does taste good!), Moosetracks, Honey Toasted Almond, Banana and so much more!!!

So...
Step 1: You get your ice cream
Step 2: Go outside and choose to sit either on the porch with over 40 rocking chairs, or go out to the field where there are several picnic tables to sit upon.
Step 3: Look at one of the best views in Orange County


See how many cars are there? It's popular!


Step 4: Perhaps toss around a frisbee.

I have been there twice in the past two weeks. Perhaps three. I don't keep count. One with my good friend Whitney Davis! Who was baffled by how far out into the "country" this place was (oh, how I love you!) and then once again with "the gang" as we call it.

I love Maple View because it is so quintessentially so much of what I love about this area. It's gorgeous, simple and everything just moves a little bit slower. It's enough just to go and enjoy good ice cream and look out at a view. It reminds me of warm summer nights, star gazing and carefree afternoons.

Do y'all have anything like this near you? Or someplace that sells local goods?

Until then,
Cara

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't gone but we must take a trip when we reunite at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Maple View (and Hillsborough)! YUMMY

    ReplyDelete