"In summer, the song sings itself." -William Carlos Williams




Thursday, May 20, 2010

Swing and poetry

Good morning sunshines!
I've decided it's going to be a good day- I've finally got some energy back in me (even though I woke up at 6:30 this morning, I went to bed last night at like 9:30).

Yesterday I was able to check off one of the things on my summer to-do list! I went to the new Hillsborough public library (okay, it just moved across town- but it's a new building!). So I have "discovered" something new in this town.

It wasn't the best library I have ever been to, it was smaller than most. But, the man at the counter was friendly (even though he went to Duke). What I kept on thinking the whole time is what is a guy who went to Duke doing working at a library as a receptionist? Who knows. Either way, I got a new library card! Exciting! Oh, and I suppose that I got books too!


I'm really excited about all of these books! I read some of Dickinson's poetry last night and this morning and I loved it! Kristen's post yesterday made me realize how much I miss good writing in my life! And although most of the poems have been about our mortality, they are still ,strangely, beautiful.

I also started to read The Beautiful and the Damned, which is on my summer reading list! F. Scott Fitzgerald is amazing.
His words just flow off the page and into my brain. He is so good at creating these awesome images. His writing has come to define the Roaring 20s or what is referred to as the Jazz Age. This extravagant, champagne flowing, luxurious, high society, garden party, trumpet playing, furs and flapper time period.


I love, love, love it. Maybe it is the romantic in me, and even though the point of Fitzgerald's work is to point out the fallacy of this dream period (he was the one telling the world "I told you so" in 1928), I still think it's fun to go along for the ride.

Cool fact: Every year at Governor's island just outside of New York City, in June they have this really big Jazz Age party on the lawn, hosted by Swing Dance Long Island. It is sooo cool. Found out about it when The Sartorialist started to take pictures there because all of the fashion there is incredible.

All these pictures were taken by Scott Schuman and his incredible self and can be seen further here.





Doesn't that look like so much fun??! I am determined to go one day.

Until then,
Cara

3 comments:

  1. Love all the pics! Let's have our own garden party, shall we?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to the garden party! That sounds absolutely joyous.

    You'll have to let me know how The Beautiful and the Damned is, because I loved the Great Gatsby, so I may have to pick that one up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm I'm 100% for a garden party! Arboretum + Pretty dresses + Brie and wine??? Jazz music softly playing in the background?

    ReplyDelete