"In summer, the song sings itself." -William Carlos Williams




Saturday, May 1, 2010

How Sweet (and possibly sweaty!) it is

Today is hot.

North Carolina hot.

It's a particular brand of hot that is like walking through a cloud it is so humid. The kind of hot that makes dew collect on your face and inside your elbows.

This should mean that summer is here right?

Too bad this morning I woke up at 7 a.m. to take my Econ 101 final- how can summer be so cruel as to tease me like that?

I walked in only partially prepared. And as I got further and further into the test, I wanted to cry more and more. Ugh.

I got back to the house and after a snack and some quality couch time (Ocean's 13), I headed out to Student Stores to sell back my book.

If I got nothing else out of Econ, I did get back $50 dollars for my book! I got $90 in total for two books, which is nice. Hmm.. should I save it for rent next year, or should I make a stop at H&M this weekend?

Also still have one book left! We the People by Thomas E. Patterson; lemme know if you want it!

On the way back from selling back text books we stopped by the Yogurt Pump. One of my favs!
Today it was raspberry pomegranate with granola! Only five more receipts until I get a free small.

We also stopped by Sugarland, the local bakery on Franklin Street. I love it! It has pastries, gelato and cakes.

This is the cake that caught my eye from the street:



Turns out the cake was made in celebration of the documentary The Kings of Pastry. So I got curious and decided to look up what the documentary was about online.

The Kings of Pastry is about the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France competition in France, where chefs compete to be named the best pastry chef by President Sarkozy. Apparently its a really high honor! Here's the link if you want to learn more about it! There is a clip from the documentary in it as well!

I love stuff like that. Sometimes I wish I would just drop out of school and start a pastry shop. With all of the T.V. craze (Top Chef, Ace of Cakes, plus all of the wedding cake shows I watch) and movies like Chocolat- what could be the downside?

Interning at Southern Weddings Magazine this summer, hopefully I will be seeing a lot more cakes!

Here are more picture I took at Sugarland! I want to go back soon to get the mango gelato! Mmmm.



So cool!


This was probably my favorite!! I love the Carolina blue dresses of the bridesmaids and the cute dog! This won Best in Show at the Triangle Bridal Showcase.

This cake was beautiful, too.



Ahh! Can't wait to have something like this at my wedding! Should probably find a potential candidate first!

Well, it's off to work at Spanky's tonight!

Till then,
Cara

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the last cake (totally my style).

    Also, it seems like a foodie kind of day for you. You're sitting here with me watching Food Network. Awesome.

    Enjoy the heat! Tomorrow the high is 92 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cara i love your new prof pic! is that what you call it in the blog world?? anyway. i agree it was inhumanly hot today. i also agree that sugarland is the bombbb

    ReplyDelete