"In summer, the song sings itself." -William Carlos Williams




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Things I love About NC: The Beach

I have decided that every week I am going to do a post on things I love about NC and about the summer!

This, I suppose, is both of those things.


Holden Beach dunes

I love North Carolina beaches. I think there is nothing like them. Every summer I go to the beach at least three times and every time it's so peaceful/grounding/fun! Usually said beach trips involve three or four friends, a Frisbee, some good tanning and catching up and a great time.

Our beaches are so family friendly and relaxing. There is no competing for sand space, no cars on the beach and there are still a lot of beaches in NC where there are no ugly, huge hotels lining the shore.

My favorite beach experience was in high school when I went with my youth group. We stayed at my friend's beach house seen below (or at least the stairs of it).


The beach house was just a block from the ocean. We played games on the beach (at night and during the day), we rode bikes and watched the sunset, we relaxed, tanned, swam in the warm ocean, went out to the shore at night and watched the stars, we watched many episodes of Freaks and Geeks, went to go see the second Pirates of the Caribbean, made mud pie, played poker with skittles and laid out on a hammock we found on the beach (see photo at top). There were also banana pancakes, putt putt, ice cream and lots of fun. AKA best trip EVER!

Those are the best beach trips- those in which you can go for a full week!

I also went to the beach for Senior Beach Week where we stayed at another friend's beach house. This was the view from the back porch.


That trip involved a bit more consumption of illegal liquids than the first. But there was also fishing, crabbing, grilling hotdogs and hamburgers, group singing and guitar playing out on the pier at night, my first trip to a club, some really good pizza and tanning that ensued.


And then there are the day trips where we just ride down to Wrightsville beach.

This trip was truly a spur of the moment trip. We were all hanging out the night before and then at around 11 o'clock someone ( I think it was me) suggested that we should go to the beach- the next day! That is what I love about the summer- most of the time (except for this summer when I have an internship everyday) you can just pick up and spontaneously do something fun!

So that is why I love North Carolina beaches. It's truly like you are just living a Jack Johnson song.


Wrightsville Beach pier


Well, off to watch Giada on the tele!
Until then,
Cara

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful beach pics! Maybe one weekend I can drive up to Raleigh and a group of us can go?! I want my life to be a Jack Johnson song! =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. if my life were a jack johnson song, it would involve banana pancakes...and bubbly toes.

    ReplyDelete